Vertical cavity surface emitting lasers (VCSELs) operating in the wavelength range of 1200-2000nm are very attractive for applications in data and telecommunications as well as in gas sensing. The main challenge in long wavelength VCSEL technology has been the matching of active region and mirror materials for achieving high static and dynamic performance. We have been developing and using the localized wafer fusion technique to realize single-wavelength and tunable-wavelength long wavelength VCSELs. This technique permits the optimization of the active and the mirror materials as well as the application of optical cavity engineering for emission wavelength control.
Single Mode VCSELs
Wavelength Controlled VCSELs
- A.V. Syrbu, V.P. Iakovlev, C.-A. Berseth, O. Dehaese, A. Rudra, E. Kapon, J. Jacquet, J. Bucart, C. Stark, F. Gaborit, I. Sagnes, J.P. Harmand and R. Raj,
“30C CW Operation of 1.52 µm InGaAsP/AlGaAs Vertical Cavity Lasers with in-situ Built-in Lateral Current Confinement by Localised Fusion”
Electron. Lett. 34, 1744-1745 (1998).
- L. Sagalowicz, A. Rudra, E. Kapon, M. Hammar, F. Salomonsson, A. Black, P.-H. Jouneau and T. Wipijewski,
“Defects Structure and Chemistry of InP-GaAs Interfaces Obtained by Wafer Bonding”
J. Appl. Phys. 87, 4135-4146 (2000).
- A. Syrbu, A. Mircea, A. Mereuta, A. Caliman, C.-A. Berseth, G. Suruceanu, V. Iakovlev, M. Achtenhagen, A. Rudra and E. Kapon,
“1.5 mW Single-Mode Operation of Wafer-Fused 1550 nm VCSELs”
IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 16, 1230-1232 (2004).
- A. Syrbu, V Iakovlev, G. Suruceanu, A. Caliman, A. Rudra, A. Mircea, A. Mereuta, S. Tadeoni, C.-A. Berseth, M. Achtenhagen, J. Boucart and E. Kapon,
“1.55mm Optically Pumped Wafer-Fused Tunable VCSELs with 32 nm Tuning Range”
IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 16, 1991-1993 (2004).
- J. Boucart, G. Suruceanu, P. Royo, V. I. Iakovlev, A. Syrbu, A. Caliman, A. Mereuta, A. Mircea, C.-A. Berseth, A. Rudra and E. Kapon,
“3.125Gb/s modulation up to 70°C using 1.3m VCSELs fabricated with localized wafer fusion for 10GBASE LX4 applications”
Photon. Technol. Lett. 18, 571-573 (2006).
- A. Mircea, A. Caliman, V. Iakovlev. A. Mereuta, G. Suruceanu, C.-A. Berseth, P. Royo, A. Syrbu and E. Kapon,
“Cavity Mode—Gain Peak Tradeoff for 1320-nm Wafer-Fused VCSELs With 3-mW Single-Mode Emission Power and 10-Gb/s Modulation Speed Up to 70° C”
IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 19, 121-123 (2007).